Slow Wifi Performance?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
ton9x
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:50    Post subject: Slow Wifi Performance? Reply with quote
I have the WRT1900AC v1 and been experiencing issue with the stock fw that it would slowdown every few days and the only fix is to reboot the router. Today I tried flashing it to the dd-wrt fw, I tried both the one from dd-wrt.com (28628) and Kong's 2/15/16 build and both give me horrible WiFi performance. With both fw, I only get about 10-20mb with 802.11AC (changing the channel width from 20Mhz to 40 or 80Mhz doesn't seem to have any effect) whereas the stock fw would give me 100mb (my max internet speed). Even standing next to the router testing on my phone connecting through 2.4Ghz only give 20-30mb. With the stock fw, in a room in the opposite side of the house would give 45mb. The ping is also slower as well (30+). Also I used to get 2 out of 3 bars wifi signal in my room with the stock fw but with the dd-wrt fw I only get 1 out of 3 bar consistently so it seems the signal is weaker as well.

Is this speed to be expected from the dd-wrt fw or is there anything I can do to improve it?
Sponsor
ATHF
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not much you can do, it's the driver for the WiFi chip, which is provided by the manufacturer Marvell (It's not the same one they provide for the Linksys firmware)

Believe me you are not alone, just read the posts under any of the newer builds. It's been the same on mine.

Velop:2 WHW0101, RE6500, RE9000(AP)
Spectrum - 1000/50
SysLog Watcher 5, New security Onion box coming soon, Fingboxes, PiHoles, NEMS, Cacti, rpisurv
aluisperezh
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
ATHF wrote:
Not much you can do, it's the driver for the WiFi chip, which is provided by the manufacturer Marvell (It's not the same one they provide for the Linksys firmware)

I'm beginning to think that it's not only the driver. My results on WiFi with Kong's 02/04 build are faster than with Linksys firmware. But I don't know what's chagned since that build: no other (Kong or BS) are even closer...

Regards.
ATHF
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
aluisperezh wrote:
ATHF wrote:

I'm beginning to think that it's not only the driver. My results on WiFi with Kong's 02/04 build are faster than with Linksys firmware. But I don't know what's chagned since that build: no other (Kong or BS) are even closer...

Regards.

That could be, every one I have put on since Kong's 12/24/15 release has started out at 60 mbps (that is the max speed our area offers right now, going up to 300 in June) but after a few hours it cuts it to 20. Sometimes the speed comes back after a few hours other times I have to reboot it.

And to make my situation worse, I did the firmware flash that worked best so far from my brothers computer, and he sold it, so I don't have it anymore. Now I have 2 backups of every firmware they release, not going to do that again.

Velop:2 WHW0101, RE6500, RE9000(AP)
Spectrum - 1000/50
SysLog Watcher 5, New security Onion box coming soon, Fingboxes, PiHoles, NEMS, Cacti, rpisurv
Yemble
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
aluisperezh wrote:
ATHF wrote:

Regards.

5GHz WiFi performance has been much better is previous BS releases, particularly Nov, Dec and early Jan, but something changed significantly in Jan that has affected performance in every release since.
myersw
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 14:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yemble wrote:
5GHz WiFi performance has been much better is previous BS releases, particularly Nov, Dec and early Jan, but something changed significantly in Jan that has affected performance in every release since.

The big change in Jan is the new wifi driver, 10.3.0.16-20160105. This is the latest one and is being used by both DD-WRT and Openwrt. It is up to Belkin/Linksys/Marvel to provide a decent driver which they obviously have not. The driver included with the OEM firmware seems to work fine but they don't release that to the 3rd party folks for some reason.

--bill

ISP:Comcast
tutorial for flashing "WRT" series:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=287813
DD-WRT Installation, Upgrade & Basic Setup–Cliff Notes:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=311117
Kong DD-WRT Config Tutorial:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Install-and-Configure-a-DD-WRT-Kong-Router/
I tried to be normal once. Worst 2 minutes ever.
ton9x
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 15:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can I still get Kong's 02/04 build somewhere?
matthew_eli
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 15:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
may I know which is the mode you're using the AC (5GHz) WiFi? Are you using mixed N/AC?
ton9x
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 16:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
matthew_eli wrote:
may I know which is the mode you're using the AC (5GHz) WiFi? Are you using mixed N/AC?

I tried the default (mixed) and N/AC and it doesn't seem to make a difference in my case.
aluisperezh
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 17:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
myersw wrote:

The big change in Jan is the new wifi driver, 10.3.0.16-20160105. This is the latest one and is being used by both DD-WRT and Openwrt. It is up to Belkin/Linksys/Marvel to provide a decent driver which they obviously have not. The driver included with the OEM firmware seems to work fine but they don't release that to the 3rd party folks for some reason.

--bill

I agree on that, but with any OpenWRT build with .16 driver I can get >70 Mbps WiFI DL speeds. With any release except Kong's 02/04 speed is always lower than 20 Mbps. There must be something else...

Regards.
trashmann
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 13:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
aluisperezh wrote:
ATHF wrote:

Regards.

Does anyone have a copy of the Kong 02/04 build he is talking about here? I really need it for WRT1900AC V2
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 14:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
This thread is over 4 years old. Not going to split this at the moment, but may choose to later. Which build are you currently running?
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
trashmann
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 1:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
This thread is over 4 years old. Not going to split this at the moment, but may choose to later. Which build are you currently running?

Currently using Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r39144 (03/11/19)

Still having the typical crappy Marvell driver issues with it and I have read on this forum that the only driver that ever gave this router full wifi speeds was made in 2015 by Kong using an older Marvel driver.

Cant find it anywhere tho.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 1:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
And I lost all of my mirror repo that had it in there. Not sure if any more recent developments have fixed things or not, but you may consider upgrading to a more recent build from this year.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: