Basic DD-WRT Install FAQ for WRT1900AC?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
vnvjeep
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 0:37    Post subject: Re: Made the plunge, but have problems Reply with quote
jsebean wrote:
vnvjeep wrote:
vnvjeep wrote:
jsebean wrote:

Doesn't sound like you did anything wrong as far as uploading is concerned. By any chance have you downloaded the wrong build for a different router version or did the build you download get corrupted? Try redownloading a build and uploading again.

I thought of that too, and made sure I got the right one. Downloaded it 2x. From here: (ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2016/02-15-2016-r29085/linksys-wrt1900ac/)

Same deal each time. Bah. Sad

I guess these are some of the things I'm going to try... not really sure, but I'm wondering if my 2nd partition is intact? So let me know if there might be another thing I can do?

1.) I'm first going to do a reset, possibly a 30-30-30 reset, and try it again.
2.) I'm currently on stock v1.10, and will flash v1.8 on it to see if it makes it onto the 2nd partition. I'll try uploading it from v1.8.
3.) Manually switch to the 2nd partition (whatever is running on it at the time) with the power on/off trick x 3, and see if I can upload the .img file from the 2nd partition.

Any other ideas?

Whatever partition is running will overwrite the other. I don't see any need in uploading an old version of the WRT firmware but whatever floats your boat Smile

As for your download... the discussion thread for the build you are trying shows others with v1's have no issues. I have seen some browsers cache corrupt versions of files. Perhaps try clearing your browsing data or try downloading it in a different browser?

For reference... if you can check the md5 of the build (See WinMD5) I have downloaded said build myself and this is the hash so you can check for corruption, just to rule that out:
Code:
factory-to-ddwrt.img for v1 BS build 02-15-2016-r29085
03c910b7ece7870f3dc9a82ed44b0eb3

So I finally got this working... I tried flashing the latest beta (that came out today), and had the same issue where it rebooted on itself 3x, ending up back on stock v1.10 each time. So, this is what I did:

1.) Flashed v1.08, and found that it was now on partition 2.
2.) Flashed the latest beta .img (29114 - 2/17/2016) from v1.08, and seemed to install just fine this time. It ended up going onto partition 1.

Anywho... all good. Now trying to figure out why wifi speeds are so dang slow. :/
Sponsor
WeezyMoss
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 15:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've been reading the forums for a few weeks now and I'm still on the fence in regards to flashing the WRT1900AC v2. I read through various topics and bought the WRT1900AC v1... read some more and took it back. Found the v2 today and purchased it... again I read up and even after this latest build (v3.0 --- 29085 --- 2016/02/15), there still seems to be issues. Am I missing something buried in these discussions? Do I roll with one of the recommend/stable builds or wait for a better build?

ISP: 1Gbps Fiber optic
Router: Unopened WRT1900AC version2
VPN: Private Internet Access

Once flashed I'll read up on installing the VPN client, just added the info in case it effects anything. Thanks in advance.
htismaqe
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 16:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Should have stuck with the V1.

I love mine. I'm at 82 days uptime.

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 18:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
WeezyMoss wrote:
I've been reading the forums for a few weeks now and I'm still on the fence in regards to flashing the WRT1900AC v2. I read through various topics and bought the WRT1900AC v1... read some more and took it back. Found the v2 today and purchased it... again I read up and even after this latest build (v3.0 --- 29085 --- 2016/02/15), there still seems to be issues. Am I missing something buried in these discussions? Do I roll with one of the recommend/stable builds or wait for a better build?

ISP: 1Gbps Fiber optic
Router: Unopened WRT1900AC version2
VPN: Private Internet Access

Once flashed I'll read up on installing the VPN client, just added the info in case it effects anything. Thanks in advance.

Yep you have just traded active cooling for a slightly faster CPU. Not a great decision IMHO !
jsebean
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 19:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
htismaqe wrote:
Should have stuck with the V1.

I love mine. I'm at 82 days uptime.

Nothing wrong with the V2 and NAS performs better on it. Works fine for me. Cool
Quote:
Yep you have just traded active cooling for a slightly faster CPU. Not a great decision IMHO !

I can now see why BrainSlayer said he was considering yanking out the temperature monitoring feature Rolling Eyes

OEM Satellite internet -- I'll likely get back to DD-WRT again when I get better internet
htismaqe
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 20:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
I never said there was anything wrong with the V2. I don't think it's superior to the V1, however.
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 22:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
htismaqe wrote:
I never said there was anything wrong with the V2. I don't think it's superior to the V1, however.

Well that's subjective but who cares Twisted Evil Cool

OEM Satellite internet -- I'll likely get back to DD-WRT again when I get better internet
htismaqe
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 14:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
jsebean wrote:
htismaqe wrote:

Well that's subjective but who cares Twisted Evil Cool

Objectively, look at the number of people here who have zero problems with their V1 and DD-WRT. Then look at the number of people here who have V2/ACS and do have problems.

It's a more mature platform. Wink

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 14:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
htismaqe wrote:
Objectively, look at the number of people here who have zero problems with their V1 and DD-WRT. Then look at the number of people here who have V2/ACS and do have problems.

It's a more mature platform. Wink

I don't know how you picked that up. Specifically since the main issues people have is with things like 5GHz, which is not version specific, latency on wifi issues, etc. Some people happen to have v1, some v2, it's just what they bought. Most didn't pick.

There is no difference between the two as far as "stability". It's not a contest. Just very slightly different models, one with a slightly faster CPU without a fan and one with a fan and slightly slower CPU.

htismaqe
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 15:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
The core group of people here that post similar experiences to mine (I know some of them from other forums, BTW) have 2 things in common:

1. They don't use NAS or other "extra" features.
2. They have a V1.

I can tell you from other forums as well that the ACS/V2 tends to have more issues than the V1.

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 15:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
And just so it's clear, they're not identical except for fan and clock speed.

The ACS has a different CPU altogether.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/32856-linksys-wrt1900acs-dual-band-gigabit-router-reviewed

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 22:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
If I boot back to stock, is there an stock equivalent to

ubootenv get boot_part
ubootenv set boot_part #
reboot

Basically, I'm wondering if there's a way to swap boot partitions and reboot the router while running the stock firmware.
harijay
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 18:58    Post subject: Re: Made the plunge, but have problems Reply with quote
vnvjeep wrote:
jsebean wrote:
vnvjeep wrote:
vnvjeep wrote:
jsebean wrote:

Doesn't sound like you did anything wrong as far as uploading is concerned. By any chance have you downloaded the wrong build for a different router version or did the build you download get corrupted? Try redownloading a build and uploading again.

I thought of that too, and made sure I got the right one. Downloaded it 2x. From here: (ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2016/02-15-2016-r29085/linksys-wrt1900ac/)

Same deal each time. Bah. Sad

I guess these are some of the things I'm going to try... not really sure, but I'm wondering if my 2nd partition is intact? So let me know if there might be another thing I can do?

1.) I'm first going to do a reset, possibly a 30-30-30 reset, and try it again.
2.) I'm currently on stock v1.10, and will flash v1.8 on it to see if it makes it onto the 2nd partition. I'll try uploading it from v1.8.
3.) Manually switch to the 2nd partition (whatever is running on it at the time) with the power on/off trick x 3, and see if I can upload the .img file from the 2nd partition.

Any other ideas?

Whatever partition is running will overwrite the other. I don't see any need in uploading an old version of the WRT firmware but whatever floats your boat Smile

As for your download... the discussion thread for the build you are trying shows others with v1's have no issues. I have seen some browsers cache corrupt versions of files. Perhaps try clearing your browsing data or try downloading it in a different browser?

For reference... if you can check the md5 of the build (See WinMD5) I have downloaded said build myself and this is the hash so you can check for corruption, just to rule that out:
Code:
factory-to-ddwrt.img for v1 BS build 02-15-2016-r29085
03c910b7ece7870f3dc9a82ed44b0eb3

So I finally got this working... I tried flashing the latest beta (that came out today), and had the same issue where it rebooted on itself 3x, ending up back on stock v1.10 each time. So, this is what I did:

1.) Flashed v1.08, and found that it was now on partition 2.
2.) Flashed the latest beta .img (29114 - 2/17/2016) from v1.08, and seemed to install just fine this time. It ended up going onto partition 1.

Anywho... all good. Now trying to figure out why wifi speeds are so dang slow. :/

I am about to embark on flashing dd-wrt on my wrt1900AC v1 . I am running the stock firmware version 1.1.10.167514

Just in case I run into the same problem , where can I get the 1.08 firmware from Linksys? I tried looking at their downloads page and could only find the version 1.10

My plan is to download the Kong version from 2/15/16 img file. Flash using the excellent instructions from jsebean and then enjoy the new goodness of dd-wrt.

Just wanted to be prepared and have access to the 1.08 firmware in case I face the same problem as vnvjeep.

Thanks
harijay
marksanctuary
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 22:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
htismaqe wrote:
The core group of people here that post similar experiences to mine (I know some of them from other forums, BTW) have 2 things in common:

1. They don't use NAS or other "extra" features.
2. They have a V1.

I can tell you from other forums as well that the ACS/V2 tends to have more issues than the V1.

htismaqe,

I noticed the trend too with the posts here on this forum. The V1 routers seem to have less people complaining about issues. It may be that the open source wireless driver saw more dev time at Marvell on V1s, who knows. All I know is my experience with the V1 has had no performance issues like others have posted so far. All I have found is cosmetic web interface issues and configuration bugs in the web interface in dd-wrt and most have already been addressed by BS/Kong.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the input about the version 1 vs version 2, but going back to the original questions:

Which version is stable for v1?
Which version is stable for v2?
And do I roll with one of the recommend/stable builds or wait for a better build?

WRT1900AC version2
Box is still unopened...

Thanks in advance.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 17, 18, 19  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 3 of 19
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: