TP Link Archer C9 New Flash Working....Validation Flash

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
tvos
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 15:29    Post subject: TP Link Archer C9 New Flash Working....Validation Flash Reply with quote
Hello Everyone,

Just recently purchased TP LINK Archer C9 and flashed DD-WRT rom to my device.

I am currently running: DD-WRT v3.0-r29002 std (02/01/16)

So far the router seems to be working as intended. When setting up the DHCP and assigning IPs I had one hell of a time getting this to work. This is not my first rodeo with routers since I am a IT technician and worked with many brands and firmwares.

A few concerns that I do have is the wireless signal being weak in my condo and the DHCP assigned IPs that I was having difficulty setting up.

The steps prior to flashing, I performed the 30-30-30 before, during, and after the flash successful. Able to access all the menu's, have port forwarding, DynDNS setup, , both wireless SSIDs broadcasting, etc.

It just leaves me un-easy with the validation of the DHCP
static leases that I had assigned when having difficulty and the signal range.

The router is first level and I am in a condo where it has only three rooms, fairly small but spacious for our needs. Only one drawback that could be interfering with the signal is the Furnace next to my room where the wireless resides. It's possible could be interfering with the signal.

If a expert here in DD_WRT who is using TP-LINK Archer C9 router can offer advice and verify that I am using the correct firmware build for my device, I have no problems buying them a cup of coffee to star bucks.

I do appreciate your time and Thank You,

Dave
Sponsor
madman999
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 17:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
read the main C9 thread to get a sense of the trials and tribulations we've had with this router

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=282831

it mostly works well and the range on this router is pretty good to outstanding

one thing you mentioned was that you did a 30/30/30 reset which is what I did too and caused my mac address to get screwed up(i have 3 of these router that I am working with so I try different ways and possibilities).

make sure the mac address in the status page agrees with the mac address on the sticker on the bottom of the router. if it;s different, your dhcp issue could be a symptom of another problem

Please state what make and model router plus the build number and type of DD-WRT you are using. Screen prints and a network diagram can are also helpful. Before you create a new post, use the search function. Chances are your issue has happened to someone else.

Common F.A.Q.
Where can I get the latest test Firmware or older ones?
https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/

Asus RT-AC66R on 3.x 28072 Giga
TP-Link Archer C9 on 3.x r54095
tvos
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 18:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello Madman,

Looks like I will buying you a coffee from star bucks what is your pay pal id?

Here is the current info requested:

Current Firmware Version:
Linux 4.4.1 #234 SMP Mon Feb 1 08:02:27 CET 2016 armv7l

Flashed stock to dd-wrt using the following:
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2016/02-01-2016-r29002/tplink_archer-c9v1/

What is the difference between V1 and V2? I used V1 because the original ROM was ver.1 - would it matter?

One thing that I did notice is that the MAC Address of the router is: F4:F2:6D:79:3C:77 in DD-WRT Status page but on the back of the device it is: F4:F2:6D:79:3C:76

As of right now, DHCP is working exactly the way I need it. Assigning the leases to the correct computer/workstations etc.

Do I need to be concerned about this?

In the meantime, I will review the link you supplied and go through the threads. That will be a great help and a start.

Please advise and again Thank You for replying.

Dave
madman999
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 19:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
glad you got it working. don;t worry about paying anything, we are on this board to help each other.

yes version does matter. manufaacturers make subtle changes to the router that can affect it;s inner workings. always verify you are flashing the correct version for your router. there are now 3 different versions of this router floating around where as 6 months ago there was just 1.

your router has 3 or 4 mac addresses depending on how many interfaces and radios. the mac address printed on the bottom of the router is usually the wan address facing the internet or eth0, eth1(usually the LAN), 2(Usually the 2.4 ghz wifi radio) and 3(usually the 5 ghz radio if your router has one) is that address incremented by 1,2 or 3 values.

as long as your router didn;t auto generate an oddball generic address(which would conflict with other devices out there), you are probably okay. seems like the address is correct. make a screen shot of your status page.

Please state what make and model router plus the build number and type of DD-WRT you are using. Screen prints and a network diagram can are also helpful. Before you create a new post, use the search function. Chances are your issue has happened to someone else.

Common F.A.Q.

tvos
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 20:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank You Madman and appreciate your help.

I have attached the screen shot of the status page as requested.

My LAN octet that I use is: 11.190.39.1 instead of the generic 192.x.x.x.x

The version that I flashed with I knew it was for the correct model of the device. Wasn't sure if it was V1 or V2, hence made sense to go with V1 based on my intial review of the firmware being first release. I was probably wrong on assuming this.

So far my dhcp are assigning correctly to all the devices. When I view ipconfig /all I am seeing the correct IP assigned address.

Performed test download speeds and that seems to be little higher than my ASUS RTN-16 last router. I was running EasyTomato (based off of open tomato). As for wireless speed, I can definitely see a higher increase in speed.

The range could be a lot better but again as I mentioned, it's possible the furnace being right next to my office / computer room is interfering with the device. I was thinking either looking at a repeater for the farther side of the house.. I reviewed my lan cables and it is a mix between Cat5e and Cat6.. Will be upgrading these all to Cat6.

Dave

DDWRT.PNG
 Description:
Status Page DD-WRT
 Filesize:  27.86 KB
 Viewed:  6789 Time(s)

DDWRT.PNG

madman999
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 23:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
if everything is working fine, i;d leave it as is. i often wonder if the status page is indeed accurate or if the page was merely cosmetic.

if it really bugs you, you could enter commands via putty

nvram set et0macaddr={the mac address printed on the bottom of your router}

nvram commit

reboot

this should set your primary mac address correctly and the other wan mac address should increment by 1 value.

even after doing this the wifi address might still be off. the details of what I did to fix mine are in the main thread.

Common F.A.Q.

tvos
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello Madman,

Tried this and still the same. Didn't seem to fix the problem with the MAC address showing of the router. Not a deal breaker and will not worry about it. As long everything works as planned. I do appreciate your help on that though!

One last question? If I was to re-flash the router to the latest firmware for the TPLINK Archer C9. What would you suggestions be?

Please advise and again Thank You for your help!

Dave
madman999
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 14:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
as you can see from my signature, i'm on an older release because it;s stable for me and I don;t have a way of debricking this router if it gets to that state. so i wait for others to report what flashes successfully. just stick with what is best for you. you don;t have to go to the latest because while it may fix 2 things, it;s always possible to break another.

Common F.A.Q.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: