"EA6300V1" (Q87-EA6400) BCM4360

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 65, 66, 67 ... 97, 98, 99  Next
Mavpts
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 17:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Would a fresh 6300 be of any use to you all? I have one that should be in the mail this afternoon if it helps
Sponsor
Silent_Swift
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 20:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mavpts wrote:
Would a fresh 6300 be of any use to you all? I have one that should be in the mail this afternoon if it helps

Well, there was donations before for giving BrainSlayer a router and that's how we have dd-wrt builds running on this Very Happy

If you mean the EA6300, that's still unsupported, you could give it to BrainSlayer to add support. You can pm his dd-wrt profile.

You can confirm the model number by looking at the back of the router, on the top. This image I found on google notes EA6300V1 and not EA6300.

If it's the EA6300V1, this is the same as the EA6400, which we already have a DD-WRT build for. You could send it to other Firmware developers to have builds on Open-Wrt or Tomato Shibby for development to start on other firmware's.

DD-Wrt BrainSlayer:
s.gottschall@dd-wrt.com

Open-Wrt Internal Developers mailing list:
openwrt-hackers@openwrt.org

BT Infinity FTTC
BRAS PROFILE: 76.2MBPS DOWN / 20 MBPS UP

BT Smart Business Hub 6A - Modem and AP
Linksys EA6300v1 - Broadcom DD-WRT v3.0-r36104 std
BT HomeHub 5A - Wireless AP Extender
BT Openreach Modem ECI - Unlocked OpenWrt 15.05
Mavpts
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 22:41    Post subject: Well, I opened the box and its v1 Reply with quote
Silent_Swift wrote:
Mavpts wrote:

Well, there was donations before for giving BrainSlayer a router and that's how we have dd-wrt builds running on this Very Happy

If you mean the EA6300, that's still unsupported, you could give it to BrainSlayer to add support. You can pm his dd-wrt profile.

You can confirm the model number by looking at the back of the router, on the top. This image I found on google notes EA6300V1 and not EA6300.

If it's the EA6300V1, this is the same as the EA6400, which we already have a DD-WRT build for. You could send it to other Firmware developers to have builds on Open-Wrt or Tomato Shibby for development to start on other firmware's.

DD-Wrt BrainSlayer:
s.gottschall@dd-wrt.com

Open-Wrt Internal Developers mailing list:
openwrt-hackers@openwrt.org

Well, I opened the box and its v1 Smile. Was Already had a 6400 with wrt on it. I wasn't sure if you guys still needed anything off an unmodded router.
RedRover88
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
[quote="Silent_Swift"]
The UUID I've posted is from the actual cfe, I personally don't know mine either and I won't be returning to stock anytime soon. I think we should ammend our instructions to do a nvram get uuid_key from the stock cfe BEFORE we flashed the xvortex cfe. This way we can place it in this cfe and return to stock Surprised

ghoffman wrote:
thank you silent_swift for posting the updated cfe and some references to the kooshare forum. a few things:
1. the updated cfe allows more nvram space
2. the uuid last 12 bytes are the et0macaddr best not to use the 'default' uuid. the wps key and passphrase are also somehow encoded.
3. the suggested mac addresses for the interfaces are as follows:
hw_mac_addr= benchmark 00
et0macaddr = benchmark 00
lan_hwaddr = benchmark 00
1: macaddr = benchmark +4
wl1_hwaddr = benchmark +4
0: macaddr = benchmark +2
wl0_hwaddr = benchmark +2

or, in cfe v1032:
wl0_hwaddr = benchmark +1

i think it would also be logical to change wl1_haddr to benchhmark +03, but i have not tsted.

Thankfully I have a backup of the original CFE. How do I extract the UUID from this .bin file?

I am having problems uploading/writing the new CFE. I used WinSCP to FTP the file onto the router. Now I am trying to Telnet the router and run the commands.

mtd unlock device mtd0
Unlocking /dev/mtd0
Could not unlock the MTD device: /dev/mtd0
/dev/mtd0: Not supported

I can't figure out what I am doing wrong.

Can someone make write out some steps to follow to update the CFE from an existing DD-WRT install?
Mavpts
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
[quote="RedRover88"]
Silent_Swift wrote:

The UUID I've posted is from the actual cfe, I personally don't know mine either and I won't be returning to stock anytime soon. I think we should ammend our instructions to do a nvram get uuid_key from the stock cfe BEFORE we flashed the xvortex cfe. This way we can place it in this cfe and return to stock Surprised

ghoffman wrote:
thank you silent_swift for posting the updated cfe and some references to the kooshare forum. a few things:
2. the uuid last 12 bytes are the et0macaddr best not to use the 'default' uuid. the wps key and passphrase are also somehow encoded.

or, in cfe v1032:

i think it would also be logical to change wl1_haddr to benchhmark +03, but i have not tsted.

Thankfully I have a backup of the original CFE. How do I extract the UUID from this .bin file?

I am having problems uploading/writing the new CFE. I used WinSCP to FTP the file onto the router. Now I am trying to Telnet the router and run the commands.

mtd unlock device mtd0
Unlocking /dev/mtd0

Can someone make write out some steps to follow to update the CFE from an existing DD-WRT install?

I had the same issue. Did you flash the tiny initial build. I tried updating CFE with a newer build and it gave me same error. Try flashing tiny then try again.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
[quote="Mavpts"]
RedRover88 wrote:
Silent_Swift wrote:

ghoffman wrote:

or, in cfe v1032:

mtd unlock device mtd0
Unlocking /dev/mtd0

I had the same issue. Did you flash the tiny initial build. I tried updating CFE with a newer build and it gave me same error. Try flashing tiny then try again.

I posted that solution maybe 25 pages ago.

To people wanting to flash the ea6300v1/ea6400 with dd-wrt READ THIS WHOLE THREAD BEFORE DOING IT.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 19:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Flashed fine on mine.

Quote:
mtd unlock device mtd0
Unlocking /dev/mtd0

This is just debug information, you can ignore this... I also had errors unlocking the mtd0 partition, but I would think it's debug like the debug information we get from mtd write firmware.bin linux.

If it's flashed successfully, you should see the 2G and 5G bands having different mac addresses Wink

Like Malachi keeps on saying. This router has a lot of complications... If you're a first time user with no experience of Linux or custom router firmware; it's very easy to brick this. Flashing any cfe is risky imho; if this fails, it can render the device unbootable.

However, I do like to keep the dd-wrt spirit, but it isn't safe at all.

Also the person who said they kept a backup of their cfe, I did have a backup of mine but then accidentally formatted my PC due to some bad recovery media. I cannot help you decompile that, but I should think that some hex editor could open it?

BT Infinity FTTC

RedRover88
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 22:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Silent_Swift wrote:
Flashed fine on mine.

Quote:
mtd unlock device mtd0
Unlocking /dev/mtd0

This is just debug information, you can ignore this... I also had errors unlocking the mtd0 partition, but I would think it's debug like the debug information we get from mtd write firmware.bin linux.

If it's flashed successfully, you should see the 2G and 5G bands having different mac addresses Wink

Like Malachi keeps on saying. This router has a lot of complications... If you're a first time user with no experience of Linux or custom router firmware; it's very easy to brick this. Flashing any cfe is risky imho; if this fails, it can render the device unbootable.

However, I do like to keep the dd-wrt spirit, but it isn't safe at all.

Also the person who said they kept a backup of their cfe, I did have a backup of mine but then accidentally formatted my PC due to some bad recovery media. I cannot help you decompile that, but I should think that some hex editor could open it?

Tried a hex editor and couldn't see anything resembling the UUID. Thank you for all your help.

I will try to flash my CFE again after I revert to the super hacky build.
RedRover88
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:28    Post subject: How to upgrade to the New CFE Reply with quote
How to upgrade CFEs

0) Download your new Koolshare CFE from page 66. Edit it according to the settings
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/download.php?id=34440&sid=fe093ba66ee00eb7a46e37d2d4f58c90

Code:

hw_mac_addr=00:90:4C:0F:FF:00  基准00 (keep default mac)
et0macaddr=00:90:4C:0F:FF:00
lan_hwaddr=00:90:4C:0F:FF:00
1:macaddr=00:90:4C:0F:FF:04       基准+4 (+4 on default mac end)
wl1_hwaddr=00:90:4C:0F:FF:04     基准+4
0:macaddr=00:90:4C:0F:FF:02       基准+2 (+2 on default mac end)
wl0_hwaddr=00:90:4C:0F:FF:02     基准+2

and to setup some user default settings:

default_passphrase=linksysdefaultphrase (your default wifi pass)
default_ssid=Linksys12345 (your default wifi network)
uuid_key=1D520B9E-B9F7-78C1-EA3D-16B1222529DD

(we cannot get this unless you've made a backup of your current cfe; this uuid key FIXES the waiting issue on stock firmware, its possible to use stock Linksys firmware, if you know your UUID key before you flashed the cfe; its lost if you have flashed the xvortex cfe from this thread without backing up this through nvram get uuid_key with original cfe firmware. Replace this with your UUID key, or just use the default one but you can't get back to stock firmware...)

If you know your UUID_Key, place it there, and then you can use stock firmware as well without that waiting bug. If you don't and have flashed dd-wrt using xvortex cfe, there is no way to get this back. It is unique for every device...

wps_device_pin=12345670 (WPS pin, needed for merlin - wps is disabled on dd-wrt)

**If you know how to extract the UUID from your original CFE backup, please let me know.**

1) Backup firmware settings, then reset DD-WRT to factory settings.

2) Flash Super hacky build from page 50, using Admin tab, firmware upgrade. Reboot.
http://d.pr/f/17CIg/5I5UrVmX+

3) Log into DD-WRT. Enable ProFTPD and create a new user (SSHD does not work on the stripped down version)

Code:

-> Services
 -> NAS
 -> ProFTPD

4) FTP your modified CFE with the created ProFTPD username/password above. Use WinSCP.

* REMEMBER TO ENABLE BINARY MODE IN FTP.

5) telnet into router and run the following commands to flash CFE. Username is root. Password is your DD-WRT Login information.

Code:

mtd unlock /dev/mtd0
mtd write -f /tmp/proftpd/users/<username>/<modified_cfe.bin> /dev/mtd0

Note: substitute <username> for the proftpd username you set and <modified_cfe.bin> to the filename you uploaded during the ftp upload step.

6) Reboot

7) Go back into DD-WRT, Set back up user and password

8 ) Re-Enable ProFTPD same as before. Create a user.

9) FTP Desired EA6400 Firmware (DD-WRT 2.1.2016 working) that you want onto the router using the ProFTPD username/password above.

10) Open up Putty (Or any telnet program) and connect to 192.168.1.1. User Root and password DD-WRT login.

11) Flash your new firmware with the following commands:

*EDIT* (9/29/2015) When formatting the linux2 partition it may return an error. This is safe to ignore. It is still writing the firmware. (writing the linux partition returned an error for me)

Code:

mtd write /tmp/proftpd/users/<username>/link-to-firmware-chosen.bin linux2
(Wait for it to write)
mtd write /tmp/proftpd/users/<username>/link-to-firmware-chosen.bin linux
erase nvram
reboot

* Once again Make sure to point to the CORRECT File name.

**AFTER THIS IS DONE YOUR ROUTER WILL TAKE A VERY LONG TIME TO REBOOT FOR THE FIRST TIME! IT WILL REBOOT MULTIPLE TIMES AND CAN TAKE 2-15 MINUTES OR MORE!! JUST LEAVE IT ALONE, WALK THE DOG, AND GET SOMETHING TO DRINK!! **

14) Navigate back to http://192.168.1.1 If you see the CFE MiniWeb then Continue to wait. If you see your new firmware then you have successfully flashed to the latest version with the newest CFE files.

15) Restore the firmware configuration settings backup from step 1.

The 2.4GHz network and the 5GHz network should now have separate MAC addresses.

Last edited by RedRover88 on Sat Feb 06, 2016 18:17; edited 4 times in total
ghoffman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
just to emphasize the value of hte above cfe and mac mods:

i have been using this for about a week with 2 AP's, 2 bands, and 1 vap on each band (thus 8 separate ways to access my local network through two AP)

result: 0 dmesg messages about packet has same destination and source MAC - for the first time in years.
i have no clue if this mattered much but it seems more logical.
RedRover88
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 19:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=zh-CN&tl=en&u=http://koolshare.cn/thread-9422-1-1.html&usg=ALkJrhg5yluQrNFu7p6q6_zZLYQlOaJwCQ

The above link describes how to obtain the UUID while performing the original flash.

If I follow the below steps, would I obtain my UUID or would I brick the router? I have never gone back to the original linksys firmware, but I am guessing this is how one would attempt this.

1) Return to the Super Hacky build
2) Write the original backup CFE (Linksys) using Telnet
3) Use the Telnet and run the following

Code:

nvram get uuid_key

4) Copy down the UUID
5) Write the Koolshare CFE using Telnet
6) Flash the current DDWRT ea6400 beta firmware

What is the benefit of writing the original UUID in the Koolshare CFE?
Silent_Swift
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
RedRover88 wrote:
https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=zh-CN&tl=en&u=http://koolshare.cn/thread-9422-1-1.html&usg=ALkJrhg5yluQrNFu7p6q6_zZLYQlOaJwCQ

The above link describes how to obtain the UUID while performing the original flash.

If I follow the below steps, would I obtain my UUID or would I brick the router? I have never gone back to the original linksys firmware, but I am guessing this is how one would attempt this.

1) Return to the Super Hacky build
2) Write the original backup CFE (Linksys) using Telnet
3) Use the Telnet and run the following

Code:

nvram get uuid_key

4) Copy down the UUID
5) Write the Koolshare CFE using Telnet
6) Flash the current DDWRT ea6400 beta firmware

What is the benefit of writing the original UUID in the Koolshare CFE?

Well assuming the UUID variable is in your CFE backup, when placing it in the Koolshare cfe it allows you to use stock firmware.

That's the only benefit Wink

Without the UUID key, you've heard other people on the thread saying they're stuck on the waiting bug on stock firmware. This is because there isn't a uuid key.

I've lost my original cfe and I'm not returning to stock firmware anytime soon... Having a UUID key just allows you to use stock Linksys firmware. It has no other purpose...

BT Infinity FTTC

DDWWWRT
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 18:31    Post subject: Which CFE? Reply with quote
First off, Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread.

Now I understand the proper way to set up the MAC addresses, Thanks Silent_Swift.

But looking at LOM's modded xVortex CFE and the Koolshare CFE, they appear to have different radio parameters as well as a few other minute differences.

Which one will offer the best performance, LOMS CFE or the Chinese CFE?

Also one last question, I know DD-WRT does not currently support CTF, does Merlin support CTF?

I know CTF should in theory make a very miniscule difference but when I disable CTF on the stock firmware my download speed becomes unusable while doing large uploads. Enable CTF and I can do simultaneous download and upload no problem.
Silent_Swift
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 16:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
DDWWWRT wrote:
First off, Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread.

Now I understand the proper way to set up the MAC addresses, Thanks Silent_Swift.

But looking at LOM's modded xVortex CFE and the Koolshare CFE, they appear to have different radio parameters as well as a few other minute differences.

Which one will offer the best performance, LOMS CFE or the Chinese CFE?

Also one last question, I know DD-WRT does not currently support CTF, does Merlin support CTF?

I know CTF should in theory make a very miniscule difference but when I disable CTF on the stock firmware my download speed becomes unusable while doing large uploads. Enable CTF and I can do simultaneous download and upload no problem.

I currently use the Linksys EA6400 as a daily driver. I have been switching from Merlin and DD-Wrt numerous of times.

I don't know if it's in either firmwares as Broadcom's CTF module is closed source; so I wouldn't have expected it in DD-Wrt. In Merlin (latest build, Feb 1st; which I'll link below, this contains a bug however, 5G radio only works on guest mode), there's hardware acceleration enabled, which I presume does the same job as ctf?

As for the cfe differences, I noticed that the dd-wrt xvortex cfe (Lom has), doesn't have the 2G and 5G bands with different mac addresses, this causes problems on such devices (like my Toshiba causing authentication errors or on Rover's Surface).

The latest cfe modified at Koolshare just fixes this issue. It also contains some customized variables for Merlin...

I've been using DD-Wrt for quite a long time, but I now notice that Merlin is much more stable for my needs. In my opinion, it offers on par performance with dd-wrt; not any difference.

Below, I've attached the koolshare firmware and it's android application to be remotely managed.

EA6400_380.57_X6.5.zip
Mirror, below
http://www.mirrorcreator.com/files/1C9W6C4X/

Edit:

It seems like CTF could be supported in Merlin.

In the networking table on the tools -> information page, there seems to be different VLAN numbers.

According to: http://www.rickygao.com/tuning-the-asus-wireless-router-to-best-performance/

Quote:
The Hardware Acceleration can boost your router a lot, especially for NAT, the internet speed once you have a large number of devices, I don’t want to miss these important feature, so finally I decided to go with Asuswrt-Merlin, which is the one just right build on the original firmware with more customized features. Once Tomato and DD-WRT starting support HW Acceleration, I may switch to them.

To be more clear on the Hardware Acceleration on both Asus original and Asuswrt-Merlin firmware, please refer to below table

CTF(Cut Through Forwarding): Software optimization technique to accelerate NAT
FA (Flow Accelerator): Hardware NAT acceleration mechanism design for accelerating wired DHCP and Static IP connections
Level 1=CTF Only

Level 2=FA + CTF

Well, on my router it's showing that VLAN Hardware Acceleration is on and that there is VLAN IDs assigned to some ports.

Like the WAN port is VLAN 2, showing Level 2 Hardware acceleration of FA + CTF. With no devices online, all ports are Level 1 (VLAN 1), with CTF only. So yeah the firmware is showing up that CTF is on; I can't tell if it is in theory as I notice no speed changes at all...

BT Infinity FTTC

Last edited by Silent_Swift on Fri Feb 12, 2016 18:01; edited 2 times in total
DDWWWRT
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 17:02    Post subject: Thanks Silent Swift Reply with quote
I successfully flashed the Merlin on the router and I left it there for a few hours. It worked well using the Chinese CFE, I switched to the latest build of DDWRT and it seems run fine as well.

I like the Asus firmware but the fact that it's built by a random dude in China is unsettling.

Anyways, I can confirm that running the Chinese CFE, you can run ASUS, DD WRT, and maybe even stock firmware( when I flashed the mini build I rebooted the router and the stock firmware came up and worked fine).

Now has anybody found a stable overclock for the router, also should I tinker with the Tx power, if so what should I set them at

Thanks everybody
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 65, 66, 67 ... 97, 98, 99  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 66 of 99
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: