New build: DD-WRT v3.0 --- 28976 --- 2016/01/27

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page Previous  1, 2
raidensix
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have a similar issue but I'm bridging a WRT-AC1900 to a Netgear R8000 at 5Ghz AC-only. Stock firmware gives dl/ul speeds in the 80+mbps in Speedtest while DD-WRT gives less than 10 mbps. Bridging to an R7000 has the same results. No clients are connected via wireless to the Linksys, all wired.
Sponsor
Yemble
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
elvisimprsntr wrote:
htismaqe wrote:
And I'm telling you I have the same setup with zero performance difference between stock and DD-WRT. There's some other mitigating factor or everybody with your setup would be having the same issue.

You didn't really answer the question. Is one of your clients connected to a bridge? You've reported problems with Bonjour discovery and poor performance in several threads. You mentioned it again here. But then you said that your TM server and client are connected to the same router - those two statements appear to be contradictory which makes it difficult to diagnose.

Like I said before, I have a NAS connected to the WRT1900AC for ethernet and multiple TM clients via wired and wireless connections. They perform the same as stock.

I have two routers. One WRT1900AC 5GHz AP, second WRT1900ACS 5GHz client bridge to first router + 2.4 GHz AP. Not sure what is confusing, except maybe you have not used wireless bridge mode on a DD-WRT or, for that matter, any router. Otherwise, you would have not asked the question.

I have many clients connected to each router. Some wired, some connected to the 5GHz AP, some connected to the 2.4 GHz AP. The one TM server is wired to the second router, and the one TM client is connected to the 2.4 GHz band on the same router.

Issues as previously stated:
1. Bonjour discover between the two routers (both on same sub-net) over the 5 GHz client bridge channel does not work with either latest BS or Kong builds. It works in same configuration with pair of Linksys E3000 running K3 builds, and with first router running DD-WRT and second router running stock firmware.
2. DD-WRT on second router is extremely slow, thus orders of magnitude (hours vs. days) difference in TM backup times.

Not sure what else to tell you, except DD-WRT on ACv1 seems fast and reliable. DD-WRT on ACS in client bridge mode has long ping times, poor speed tests, backup times, lack of Bonjour discovery. Same router with stock firmware in same configuration, everything works. I have been using DD-WRT since 2008, so I am not new to this. I highly doubt your claim you have EXACLY the same configuration (models, two routers, etc.) I am not the only one complaining about issues in client bridge mode.

I resorted to the DD-WRT forum because someone asked for feedback with issues and my hope that someone might actually fix the issue in my lifetime. Otherwise, I am sticking with the stock firmware for the client bridge until I see something in the changelog which might address the issue.

I'm out...

Is it impractical for you to connect the routers via Ethernet, either directly, or via a pair of power-line adapters?
marksanctuary
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 14:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yemble wrote:
Is it impractical for you to connect the routers via Ethernet, either directly, or via a pair of power-line adapters?

I agree too with Yemble. Reliability is first priority, so when I build a network for a company, myself, family member, or friend's network, I run as much wire as I can so usually all that is left is the devices that don't have an ethernet jack i.e. phones, tablets, etc.. This way the network is not dependent on a wireless bridge connection or other unreliable configuration. Thats not to say that the dd-wrt features shouldn't be built to be reliable, and I am sure they will get the kinks worked out over time, just the need to build the best setup up front that works solid should be the first goal. Something to think about.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 15:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
marksanctuary wrote:
Yemble wrote:

I agree too with Yemble. Reliability is first priority, so when I build a network for a company, myself, family member, or friend's network, I run as much wire as I can so usually all that is left is the devices that don't have an ethernet jack i.e. phones, tablets, etc.. This way the network is not dependent on a wireless bridge connection or other unreliable configuration. Thats not to say that the dd-wrt features shouldn't be built to be reliable, and I am sure they will get the kinks worked out over time, just the need to build the best setup up front that works solid should be the first goal. Something to think about.

I have had great success connecting routers via TP-Link v600 power-line adapters in a student house with very dodgy mains wiring. These gave real transfer speeds in excess of 300Mbps, across different mains rings. TP-Link now sells v1200 devices which should give actual performance close to 1Gbps on a clean mains circuit.
htismaqe
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 18:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
elvisimprsntr wrote:
I have two routers. One WRT1900AC 5GHz AP, second WRT1900ACS 5GHz client bridge to first router + 2.4 GHz AP. Not sure what is confusing, except maybe you have not used wireless bridge mode on a DD-WRT or, for that matter, any router. Otherwise, you would have not asked the question.

This statement, made by you, seems to be contradictory to previous posts you've made about the performance issues only existing in bridge mode.

elvisimprsntr wrote:
(both TM server and client on same router)

A bridge is not a router, thus creating confusion.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:19    Post subject: Painfully slow bridge mode Reply with quote
I too am having the same issue with dead slow bridge....

My setup is as follows. One router in my office, and a second in my home theater. The idea is to create an AC pipe in between as Ethernet is not an option. I had this exact setup for years with a pair of E3000s. I finally decided to upgrade to a pair of 1200ACs to bump the pipe in between rooms to faster speed (better movie streaming from NFS server to Raspberry Pi2)

Setup is virtually identical to what I had on the E3000s. 5ghz AP in the office is set to AC only. 5ghz AP in the theater is set to AC only bridge mode... connected to office. The devices Im streaming to and from are both ethernet on each side.

The speed over the AC bridge is so slow I can't even stream a 1gb TV show. As a temporary work around Ive had to put an N wifi adapter into the Pi2 and bypass the Theater router altogether until this problem is resolved. It basically puts me in the same position I was in before (being limited to N for streaming), but at least I have something functional.... anxious for a fix on this.

edit.... I'll also add that Im running build 29002 2/1/16. Ive also tried several other builds. All have the same problem with painfully slow transfer over bridged AP.
elvisimprsntr

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
htismaqe wrote:
elvisimprsntr wrote:

This statement, made by you, seems to be contradictory to previous posts you've made about the performance issues only existing in bridge mode.

elvisimprsntr wrote:

Thanks for clearing that up. I guess every manufacturer, DD-WRT, and everyone else (besides you) have been referring to their physical devices incorrectly. Be sure to let them know.

http://www.linksys.com/us/c/wireless-routers/
http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database

Now if you are not going to provide constructive solutions instead of nit picking, I suggest you move along.
htismaqe
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 14:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
elvisimprsntr wrote:
htismaqe wrote:
elvisimprsntr wrote:

elvisimprsntr wrote:

Thanks for clearing that up. I guess every manufacturer, DD-WRT, and everyone else (besides you) have been referring to their physical devices incorrectly. Be sure to let them know.

http://www.linksys.com/us/c/wireless-routers/
http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database

Now if you are not going to provide constructive solutions instead of nit picking, I suggest you move along.

The first step in providing constructive solutions is to understand the nature of the problem.

Of course Linksys refers to this device is a router, that is its primary purpose. However, if you're using it in bridge mode, you're not using it for it's original, primary purpose. Enabling bridge mode disables several features inherent in a Layer 3 router. It's an extremely important element that requires understanding before trying to offer solutions.

It's unfortunate that you'd rather puff out your chest and argue instead of trying to get to the heart of your issue. I can't help you with that, that's something you'll have to rectify on your own.

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 15:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think it's pretty obvious from the numerous reports that wireless bridging is broken.

I've seen all of the reports here but what I haven't read is whether or not anybody has opened an official bug report for it. I think that's a logical step considering the number of people reporting the issue. If someone already has, I apologize for missing it.

We need to raise attention to the issue outside of just posting stuff in the forum.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 15:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
htismaqe wrote:
I think it's pretty obvious from the numerous reports that wireless bridging is broken.

I've seen all of the reports here but what I haven't read is whether or not anybody has opened an official bug report for it. I think that's a logical step considering the number of people reporting the issue. If someone already has, I apologize for missing it.

We need to raise attention to the issue outside of just posting stuff in the forum.

I see you're running a Kong build on yours. Curious if that one will have the same issue. I'll give it a try.

I'll submit a bug report as soon as I hunt down where to do it. Thanks!!
htismaqe
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 15:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here's a thought:

Other than the slow performance, people are reporting issues with AirPrint/Bonjour across the wireless bridge link. Bonjour uses a broadcast and multicast for device discovery and advertisement.

One of the users here has been reporting issues with DLNA across a bridge going way back like 2 months. DLNA uses UPnP, which also uses multicast.

Is it possible the wireless bridge is dropping multicast packets? Anybody want to run a sniffer and see?

EDIT: I probably should rephrase that...anybody have the capability to run a sniffer and see? I have the know-how and software but I don't have a 2nd WRT to run as a bridge.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 15:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
htismaqe wrote:
Here's a thought:

Other than the slow performance, people are reporting issues with AirPrint/Bonjour across the wireless bridge link. Bonjour uses a broadcast and multicast for device discovery and advertisement.

One of the users here has been reporting issues with DLNA across a bridge going way back like 2 months. DLNA uses UPnP, which also uses multicast.

Is it possible the wireless bridge is dropping multicast packets? Anybody want to run a sniffer and see?

EDIT: I probably should rephrase that...anybody have the capability to run a sniffer and see? I have the know-how and software but I don't have a 2nd WRT to run as a bridge.

From what I've been reading it appears people are having horrible performance over 5ghz in general. I'm going to do some testing using 2.4ghz for the bridge to see if it's a 5ghz issue or a bridging issue (maybe both)
htismaqe
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 15:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sounds like a good plan.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: