Basic DD-WRT Install FAQ for WRT1900AC?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 17, 18, 19  Next
MichaelYK
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
hmm, interesting. I seem to have messed up somewhere, and have DDWRT running on both partition 1 and 2! Is there a command to see how many partitions are running?

if not, what's the best way for me to reinstall a stock image on a particular partition?

The current released is giving me ping/latency issues, so I'd like to rollback to test it again, and be able to swap between them as needed.
Sponsor
htismaqe
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 15:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-MVEBU/LinksysFW/

Download the correct file for your hardware and load from within the DD-WRT GUI.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:28    Post subject: Re: Basic DD-WRT Install FAQ for WRT1900AC? Reply with quote
jsebean wrote:
I read somewhere to upgrade to a newer build you should return back to the stock firmware and upgrade from there rather than using the DD-WRT interface so you don't overwrite the partition stock is on. Doing so would make it harder to recover the unit in the event of misconfiguration or if a setting bricks the unit.

Apologies for a noob question however something is not very clear here. For upgrades, when you boot back in to the stock partition do you select a new .img file or a new .bin file to upgrade an existing dd-wrt firmware? Can someone kindly provide a step by step guidance on how you'd upgrade an existing dd-wrt firmware to a newer dd-wrt firm version without blowing the stock partition away. What happens to your previous settings?
Also what happens if you decide to upgrade the stock partition with a new stock firmware? what is the process here without affecting your dd-wrt partition?
Many Thanks
htismaqe
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 15:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
There's no way to keep your settings I don't believe when switching back and forth between stock and DD-WRT. I wouldn't really recommend it anyway.

If you want to upgrade stock, boot into DD-WRT and use Kong's ddwrt-to-factory file.

If you want to upgrade DD-WRT, boot into stock and use Kong's factory-to-ddwrt file.

For me, that's the simplest method.

To change your boot partition, use this method:

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 23:18    Post subject: Repeater Mode Available after install? Reply with quote
Thanks jsebean for the installation instructions. Seems to have worked perfect for me.

On the old wrt54G routers using mega dd-wrt build, there is a repeater mode in the wireless settings that I was/am needing to use. Any idea when or if that mode will be available? Am I missing that mode somewhere?

Basically trying to use a cell phone hotspot signal as the internet host and allow the wrt1900ac to be the router DCHP server in my network. The wrt1900ac needs only 1 ip address to the cell phone and then the wrt1900ac provide ip address to all my other network.

Thanks all for the info...
cdtierce
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 16:28    Post subject: Re: Repeater Mode Available after install? Reply with quote
cdtierce wrote:
Thanks jsebean for the installation instructions. Seems to have worked perfect for me.

On the old wrt54G routers using mega dd-wrt build, there is a repeater mode in the wireless settings that I was/am needing to use. Any idea when or if that mode will be available? Am I missing that mode somewhere?

Basically trying to use a cell phone hotspot signal as the internet host and allow the wrt1900ac to be the router DCHP server in my network. The wrt1900ac needs only 1 ip address to the cell phone and then the wrt1900ac provide ip address to all my other network.

Thanks all for the info...

Update: I was able to use the client mode and create another virtual wireless connection. The house is up and running thus far.
Chillbuddy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
htismaqe wrote:
There's no way to keep your settings I don't believe when switching back and forth between stock and DD-WRT. I wouldn't really recommend it anyway.

If you want to upgrade stock, boot into DD-WRT and use Kong's ddwrt-to-factory file.

If you want to upgrade DD-WRT, boot into stock and use Kong's factory-to-ddwrt file.

For me, that's the simplest method.

To change your boot partition, use this method:

Will give it try cheers
MichaelYK
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 13:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
htismaqe wrote:
http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-MVEBU/LinksysFW/

Download the correct file for your hardware and load from within the DD-WRT GUI.

Perfect, Thanks!

Was able to revert back last night without any issue. Going to have to wait until that latency issue is resolved before going back to DDWRT. It's pretty unusable right now if you game or use latency sensitive applications.
jsebean
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 18:43    Post subject: Re: Basic DD-WRT Install FAQ for WRT1900AC? Reply with quote
Chillbuddy wrote:
jsebean wrote:
I read somewhere to upgrade to a newer build you should return back to the stock firmware and upgrade from there rather than using the DD-WRT interface so you don't overwrite the partition stock is on. Doing so would make it harder to recover the unit in the event of misconfiguration or if a setting bricks the unit.

Apologies for a noob question however something is not very clear here. For upgrades, when you boot back in to the stock partition do you select a new .img file or a new .bin file to upgrade an existing dd-wrt firmware? Can someone kindly provide a step by step guidance on how you'd upgrade an existing dd-wrt firmware to a newer dd-wrt firm version without blowing the stock partition away. What happens to your previous settings?
Also what happens if you decide to upgrade the stock partition with a new stock firmware? what is the process here without affecting your dd-wrt partition?
Many Thanks

Sorry just seeing this now.

Yes, you would use the IMG file. The .bin is only for upgrading from the DD-WRT interface, which, as discussed here isn't recommended, specifically if you can't JTAG your device in the event you brick it.

As long as you boot back to stock and upload a newer DD-WRT img file it wont blow away stock and will overwrite the current DD-WRT firmware already installed.

If you boot to stock and upload a newer stock firmware image from my experience it will overwrite DD-WRT and return completely to stock IIRC. I've actually done this a couple times myself when I wanted a clean slate after bricking the device with bad DD-WRT configuration.

OEM Satellite internet -- I'll likely get back to DD-WRT again when I get better internet
vnvjeep
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:31    Post subject: Made the plunge, but have problems Reply with quote
I'm on a 1900AC V1, and decided to make the plunge to DD-WRT this evening... been a longtime user on older WRT54G's and WNDR4500's, so this whole partition thing is all new to me on the 1900AC. Should be interesting!

I downloaded the latest BS beta (2/15/2016) build 29085, factory-to-ddwrt.img... went into my stock interface, selected the file, and hit OK on the prompts. The router reboots 3x, each time with the eSata light turning on (I don't have any devices hooked up to it), and eventually reboots back into the stock Linksys firmware (v1.10).

The instructions seem pretty straightforward. Am I doing something wrong? Or does this build have problems? Should I start with something a bit more stable? Looking for your advice!

Thank you.
jsebean
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:11    Post subject: Re: Made the plunge, but have problems Reply with quote
vnvjeep wrote:
I'm on a 1900AC V1, and decided to make the plunge to DD-WRT this evening... been a longtime user on older WRT54G's and WNDR4500's, so this whole partition thing is all new to me on the 1900AC. Should be interesting!

I downloaded the latest BS beta (2/15/2016) build 29085, factory-to-ddwrt.img... went into my stock interface, selected the file, and hit OK on the prompts. The router reboots 3x, each time with the eSata light turning on (I don't have any devices hooked up to it), and eventually reboots back into the stock Linksys firmware (v1.10).

The instructions seem pretty straightforward. Am I doing something wrong? Or does this build have problems? Should I start with something a bit more stable? Looking for your advice!

Thank you.

Doesn't sound like you did anything wrong as far as uploading is concerned. By any chance have you downloaded the wrong build for a different router version or did the build you download get corrupted? Try redownloading a build and uploading again.

OEM Satellite internet -- I'll likely get back to DD-WRT again when I get better internet
vnvjeep
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:35    Post subject: Re: Made the plunge, but have problems Reply with quote
jsebean wrote:

Doesn't sound like you did anything wrong as far as uploading is concerned. By any chance have you downloaded the wrong build for a different router version or did the build you download get corrupted? Try redownloading a build and uploading again.

I thought of that too, and made sure I got the right one. Downloaded it 2x. From here: (ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2016/02-15-2016-r29085/linksys-wrt1900ac/)

Same deal each time. Bah. Sad
vnvjeep
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 15:23    Post subject: Re: Made the plunge, but have problems Reply with quote
vnvjeep wrote:
jsebean wrote:

I thought of that too, and made sure I got the right one. Downloaded it 2x. From here: (ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2016/02-15-2016-r29085/linksys-wrt1900ac/)

I guess these are some of the things I'm going to try... not really sure, but I'm wondering if my 2nd partition is intact? So let me know if there might be another thing I can do?

1.) I'm first going to do a reset, possibly a 30-30-30 reset, and try it again.
2.) I'm currently on stock v1.10, and will flash v1.8 on it to see if it makes it onto the 2nd partition. I'll try uploading it from v1.8.
3.) Manually switch to the 2nd partition (whatever is running on it at the time) with the power on/off trick x 3, and see if I can upload the .img file from the 2nd partition.

Any other ideas?
jsebean
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 15:36    Post subject: Re: Made the plunge, but have problems Reply with quote
vnvjeep wrote:
vnvjeep wrote:
jsebean wrote:

I guess these are some of the things I'm going to try... not really sure, but I'm wondering if my 2nd partition is intact? So let me know if there might be another thing I can do?

1.) I'm first going to do a reset, possibly a 30-30-30 reset, and try it again.
2.) I'm currently on stock v1.10, and will flash v1.8 on it to see if it makes it onto the 2nd partition. I'll try uploading it from v1.8.
3.) Manually switch to the 2nd partition (whatever is running on it at the time) with the power on/off trick x 3, and see if I can upload the .img file from the 2nd partition.

Any other ideas?

Whatever partition is running will overwrite the other. I don't see any need in uploading an old version of the WRT firmware but whatever floats your boat Smile

As for your download... the discussion thread for the build you are trying shows others with v1's have no issues. I have seen some browsers cache corrupt versions of files. Perhaps try clearing your browsing data or try downloading it in a different browser?

For reference... if you can check the md5 of the build (See WinMD5) I have downloaded said build myself and this is the hash so you can check for corruption, just to rule that out:
Code:
factory-to-ddwrt.img for v1 BS build 02-15-2016-r29085
03c910b7ece7870f3dc9a82ed44b0eb3

vnvjeep
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 15:57    Post subject: Re: Made the plunge, but have problems Reply with quote
jsebean wrote:

Whatever partition is running will overwrite the other. I don't see any need in uploading an old version of the WRT firmware but whatever floats your boat Smile

As for your download... the discussion thread for the build you are trying shows others with v1's have no issues. I have seen some browsers cache corrupt versions of files. Perhaps try clearing your browsing data or try downloading it in a different browser?

For reference... if you can check the md5 of the build (See WinMD5) I have downloaded said build myself and this is the hash so you can check for corruption, just to rule that out:
Code:
factory-to-ddwrt.img for v1 BS build 02-15-2016-r29085
03c910b7ece7870f3dc9a82ed44b0eb3

I've got the same hash. Using Chrome, I'll try a different browser/reset cache, and see if that does the trick. Thanks for the feedback!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 17, 18, 19  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 19
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: