Trendnet TEW-812DRU

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
woodjp
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 23:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Any chance the V1.0 will get a port?
Sponsor
Snunez68
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 19:54    Post subject: Original Firmware Reply with quote
Hello all 1st post ever I'm a router noob, but I really want to flash dd-wrt on mine TEW-812DRU. Is it easy to reflash the original factory firmware?or do i have to do some complicated stuffs? I ask because I had bought another router tl-wdr3500, I installed dd-wrt excited and it the router was garbage(it wasnt dd-wrt it wasnt working well before). but i wanted to revert it so i can return it but i wasnt able to, i shipped it back anyways and i got a refund so it worked out i guess. but there is a notice on trendnets site that flashing this will void the warranty so I want to know if its as easy as flashing original firmware from within dd-wrt(i know there isnt a webrevert) or do i got to do other stuff? sorry for the long post Laughing
Busycouple
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 19:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have this router and upgraded it to dd-wrt. I'm trying to set up VPN for it but cant see the Open Vpn under Services-VPN.

Any help would be appreciated.
benjs
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 20:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi there!

My apologies if this is the wrong location for this. I've installed build 23804 from the dd-wrt website on my TEW-812DRU v.2, and everything is working smoothly except NAS functionality - which brings me to a blank page. Is there risk in trying a later build? If not, has anyone had success with the NAS functionality?

Thanks!

Ben
carioca10
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
I found the same problem.

Can someone recommend another router with 5 GHz network, DD-WRT firmware and OpenVPN?

Busycouple wrote:
I have this router and upgraded it to dd-wrt. I'm trying to set up VPN for it but cant see the Open Vpn under Services-VPN.

Any help would be appreciated.
MrPete
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 18:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
FWIW -- I have been running rock solid for half a year on build 27378 mini... and about to try a further upgrade (and mega).

All Wifi modes work (of course 5ghz has less distance as expected.
VIWRT
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
MrPete wrote:
FWIW -- I have been running rock solid for half a year on build 27378 mini... and about to try a further upgrade (and mega).

Any luck with the upgrade to Mega? I've tried it with this router and it's never worked for me.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
VIWRT wrote:
MrPete wrote:

Any luck with the upgrade to Mega? I've tried it with this router and it's never worked for me.

Only use the firmware in the folder for your router.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 17:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:

Only use the firmware in the folder for your router.

Is it necessary to do a hard reset (30-30-30) prior to flashing when upgrading from the stock firmware? The read me document included on trendnet's page gave no indication of this requirement. Only log in, upload, and let it do its thing.

http://www.trendnet.com/support/supportdetail.asp?prod=105_TEW-812DRU

I was planning on using the firmware listed on dd-wrt rather than the firmware posted on trendnet as it seems to have been confirmed that what they have posted is from dd-wrt. Is there anything I should be mindful of before engaging this process?
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 18:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
I usually just do a reset to factory default from the router gui.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 19:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
infielders3 wrote:

Is it necessary to do a hard reset (30-30-30) prior to flashing when upgrading from the stock firmware?

I just downloaded the open source firmware (it is dd-wrt) at the link you gave above and used the firmware upgrade page on the stock router. Worked without issue. After that, I upgraded to a newer version of dd-wrt.
MrPete
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 23:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sadly, there are a few crucial things that are not (yet) documented in the DD-WRT websites and hints...

1) Most of the recent WiFi routers *require* 3.0 builds instead of 2.4 or 2.6

2) These builds are much larger than the older ones

3) For most of those routers, a Mega build has been created and can be downloaded (either the file or the folder will be named for your router)... IF it fits in the router's flash memory space. Otherwise, whatever option(s) you see in the folder for your router is the only choice available at this time.

4) The 812DRU requires 3.0 and has only 8MB of flash. It can only hold a mini build (maybe a custom build with a few more features could eventually be created but never a full mega.)

The good news: Amazon has a tradein policy. Depending on the cosmetic details of your router and whether you kept the original box etc... you could get some money back if you decide to switch to another model.

All that said, I've now purchased a Netgear r7000 (good deal: price matched Amazon at local Best Buy and they also gave me a $20 gift card. Nice!)
kritter3
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
I bought the Trendnet TEW812DRUv2 to use as a general access point, create guest networks, and use QOS to limit bandwidth for the various services. The original build I used (23808), recommended by the ddwrt site, did not allow me to use QOS and brought internet connectivity to a halt. (could not access the gui or internet, very sporadic). I was able to switch this on and off, so I know it was QOS.

I upgraded to build 27858 and I cannot create a usable guest network using the very simple instructions provided on the wiki. Also, my computer cannot find and setup a chromecast which I also tried to resolve using the very simple instructions in the wiki.

Bottom Line: Can I do all of the things I want to do with the stock firmware? If so, why would I even put myself through all of this (tongue hanging out with a paperclip stuck in the reset hole for 90 seconds) every time I figure out the build I have installed doesn't do what I need it to. I just want to set it and forget it.
carioca10
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 23:14    Post subject: I have bricked mine Reply with quote
I have bricked my tew-818dru.

I have tried 30-30-30 recovery and TFTP one (I did not get to access it via TFTP).

Is it possible to recover via serial port? I have seen 4 pins on the board, drafted red with an arrow in the attached image. Are they really the serial port pins? If positive, has anyone identifed how each one of them functions with the serial port?

Any help is welcome.

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  122.3 KB
 Viewed:  16114 Time(s)

image.jpg

DatPratt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 14:49    Post subject: Re: I have bricked mine Reply with quote
carioca10 wrote:
I have bricked my tew-818dru.

I have tried 30-30-30 recovery and TFTP one (I did not get to access it via TFTP).

Is it possible to recover via serial port? I have seen 4 pins on the board, drafted red with an arrow in the attached image. Are they really the serial port pins? If positive, has anyone identifed how each one of them functions with the serial port?

Any help is welcome.

I also have recently bricked my TEW-812DRU V2

I do not have what I need to do the serial recovery so obviously I have not done it yet, but I am pretty sure (from research) that I know about the serial ports enough now.

From what I understand, yes that is the serial port, and you are lucky to already have a 4-pin header on it lol (the ones on my board are just filled with solder).

Multiple trendnet routers apparently use almost the same CFE which is also similar to the one used by the WAP610N (because they are all "U-MEDIA" devices), and therefore the serial pinouts of the WAP610N are also the same among the TEW-811/812/818 and probably 824. 811 and 812 models are even under the same FCC registration apparently.

Therefore the pinouts are
Code:
[+3.3V]          | 
(GND)  reset   |
(TxD)  button  |
(RxD)             |

Source: https://wikidevi.com/wiki/TRENDnet_TEW-811DRU

Image (of a TEW-811dru): https://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/files/trendnet_tew_811dru_disassembly03_199.jpg

Image is from: https://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=258297&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=49

Edit: I probably should have just put this here as well. This is the page Malachi is hinting at.
https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Serial_Recovery

Last edited by DatPratt on Fri Mar 18, 2016 0:00; edited 1 time in total
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 4
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: